POTATO PANCAKE WITH BABY SWISS AND LEEKS
With just a few simple ingredients you can make this jazzed-up version of shredded potatoes for a fantastic side dish. Our buttery Baby Swiss melts into a crispy potato marvelously, but you could also try our Pepper Jack for a spicy variation.
Yields: 6 Servings
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Large leeks, light green and white parts washed, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ lbs. Potatoes (about 3 large)
- 5oz. Pineland Farms Baby Swiss Cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- TT Salt & Pepper
*note: TT means “To Taste”
- Scrub potatoes well, but don’t peel.
- Shred on a box grater.
- Place the shredded potatoes on a clean dishtowel (or several layers of paper towels) and press to squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Set aside.
- Working in a non-stick 12” skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and a pinch of salt: Sauté about 5 minutes, stirring often, or until they just start to lightly brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Unwrap potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and the last tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add half of the potato in an even layer. Add the leeks and cheese in even layers. Add remaining potatoes, pressing all together in the pan.
- Cook pancake 8-10 minutes, lifting edges with a spatula to peek underneath; when it has nicely browned, flip with a large spatula and continue to cook on the other side.
Recipe by our chef, Emily McQuarrie!
Pineland Farms Dairy Company
Maine Cows. Maine Milk. Maine Cheese. ⠀⠀
Find us in the Specialty Cheese Section!