French Onion Soup
Yields 6 servings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. salted butter
- 3 lbs. sweet yellow onions, diced
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 ea. garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp. beef bouillon
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- TT salt & pepper
- 1 ea. baguette or crusty bread ends
- (2) 8 oz. Pineland Farms Baby Swiss Cheese, shredded
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and stir to coat. Stir occasionally till the onions have completely caramelized. They should be golden brown in color.
- Add the flour and minced garlic. Stir to coat the onions, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with wine and scraping at the bottom to loosen the bites. Slowly add in the beef broth, bouillon, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into oven-safe bowls or crocks and place on a baking sheet. Top each with crusty bread or buttery baguette toasts. Sprinkle each bowl with 1/3 cup of shredded Pineland Farms Baby Swiss Cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Recipe by Emily McQuarrie