Creamy Tomato Bisque with Fried Cheese Curds
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup onions, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 2 ea. garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. oregano, dried
- 1 tbsp. basil, dried
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ cup half & half
- TT salt & pepper
Fried Curd Ingredients
- 8 oz. Pineland Farms Cheddar Cheese Curds
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup seasoned flour (Add a dash of seasoning salt, pepper & granulated garlic to all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Prepare the batter by adding seasoned flour to the buttermilk. Whisk until smooth.
- Place Pineland Farms Cheddar Cheese Curds into the batter and coat evenly. Shake off excess batter and roll in breadcrumbs. Repeat this process once more before placing coated curds on a small sheet pan to freeze for approximately 20 minutes.
- Preheat fryer to 350ºF.
- Meanwhile, prepare the soup by melting the butter in a heavy-bottomed stock pot.
- Add the onions, carrots, and garlic and cook until translucent. Add the crushed tomatoes, stock, and spices. Mix well, cover, and bring to a boil.
- After 6-8 minutes, remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Stir in the half & half and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place the frozen battered Pineland Farms Cheddar Cheese Curds in the preheated fryer and cook for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Please fried curds on a plate lined with paper towel to drain off excess oil.
- Portion the bisque into servings bowls and top with fried curds.
Recipe by Emily McQuarrie